Quick and easy low carb and keto skillet breakfast. It also makes for amazing leftovers. The sweetness of the caramelized onions are what really make this such an awesome breakfast casserole. Spicy Sausage and Caramelized Onion Casserole – You must try this recipes.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Calories 444 kcal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 pound spicy breakfast sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
- 10 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
In a second large skillet cook and crumble sausage meat. When sausage is about halfway done, add mushrooms. Continue to cook until sausage is no longer pink and mushrooms are golden brown. Let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Stir in cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Transfer sausage, mushrooms, and onions to a greased 7×11-inch pan. Pour egg mixture over the top.
Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
TIPS FOR MAKING SPICY SAUSAGE AND CARAMLEIZED ONION CASSEROLE:
- To save time, cook the onions a day in advance.
- Use regular ground sausage and make this casserole non-spicy.
- Change out the Colby Jack cheese for cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese for a different flavor.
- Be sure to keep the heat low while cooking the onions or they will burn.
Photo Credit By Shutterstock
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.